Hi everyone! This pattern is for a hat I like to call “Pebbles and Stones,” due to the use of the rice stitch (resembles pebbles) and the baubles at the top (resemble stones). The first hat I made with this pattern was knit with Shepherd’s Wool, Worsted, in Lakeshore. I bought it at one of my favorite yarn stores… and I am in love! It was $13.50 for 250 yards, but let me tell you - it’s worth it! The yarn is soft and squishy, and I am really excited to give it to my 80 year old Aunt Toddie.
- You can use any kind of worsted weight yarn you want, using approximately 160 yards.
- US sz 8 circular, 16 inches
- Stitch marker
- Cast on 91 sts, join ends together, making sure not to twist. Add placemarker to remind you where the beginning/end of the row is.
- Work in k1 p1 for 1.5 inches
- - -
[Rice Stitch, see pattern below]
3. knit one row
4. *k1 p1*
- - -
5. Follow rice stitch pattern 1.5 more times.
6. Knit 8 rows
7. Rice stitch 5 times
8. Knit 7 rows
9.Rice stitch 2 times
10. Knit 1 row
- - -
11. Bauble Row:
- Knit 5
- YO + k1 THREE TIMES into the next stitch (your one stitch is now six stitches!)
- Turn, slip first stitch purlwise, purl 5 sts
- Turn, slip first stitch, knit 5 sts
- Turn, P2 together 3 times (your six stitches are now three stitches!)
- Turn, slip first stitch, knit next two stitches
- Pull the first stitch you slipped from the RIGHT needle over the other stitches. You now have two stitches left.
- Slip the last two stitches onto the left needle, then knit 2 together.
Repeat the Bauble Pattern all the way around!
12. *Knit 7, k2tog*
13. *k1, p1*
14. *Knit 6, k2tog*
~Repeat rows 14 and 15, decreasing by 1 on every decrease row.
16. Make a yarn pom pom, I used Prudent Baby’s tutorial.
Weave in all ends and enjoy!!!